It’s been a busy weekend, and I haven’t had time to post (or watch many horror movies, for that matter…). But I did do many things to celebrate Halloween so here they are!
On Saturday morning I ran in the Costume Dash 5K, which was my only costumed event of this year. My friend dressed as a cookie and I dressed as a carton of milk. There were lots of Mario Karts, mermaids, and super heroes. It was fun puzzling out what some of the costumes were meant to be, and I got a pretty good time (for me, anyway) of 36 minutes.
Saturday afternoon involved a hike to the Freetown State Forest in Fall River, MA (home of Lizzie Borden!). This forest is located in the Bridgewater Triangle, a hotspot of strange paranormal events. Specific to the forest:
- Creatures called Pukwedgies by the Wampanoag are claimed to roam there, causing all kinds of dangerous mischief such as kidnapping people or pushing them off cliffs (to their deaths).
- The quarry (which I visited) is a site where many people claimed to feel a sense of foreboding, and a number of suicides have occurred there. Also, President Ronald Reagan apparently saw a UFO here?
- UFOs, Pukwedgies, and apparently Bigfoot have all been sighted here.
- A number of murders have occurred in the forest. One missing girl was found dead and tied to a tree, and a prostitute was found brutally murdered (murdered by her pimp, who was also a Satanist). In 2001, two bodies riddled with bullets were found on Bell Rock Road (which we drove down to get to the hiking trails…).
- Other reports of Satanic cult activity, reports of an aggressive pack of dogs, an escaped emu, and as recently as May of this year, wire was found stretched across the trails at a height meant to decapitate dirt-bike riders. Yikes!
Later we watched a few fun Halloween movies: Teen Witch (again) and Hocus Pocus.
Last night I attended Rise of the Jack O’Lanterns, which involved lots of professional pumpkin carving. There were some amazing horror movie themed pumpkins, such as this one:
Then last night I watched a doozy of a horror (?) movie called Brain Damage. The description called it “surreal” and I certainly got that… It’s about Aylmer, some weird phallic-looking worm, that can give people drug-like trips. In exchange, while you’re high, Aylmer likes to eat brains. He also likes to sing… There were some bizarre deaths, including one where a girl goes to give Aylmer’s host a BJ and instead ends up with Aylmer in her mouth. Just bizarre all around. Recommendations if you enjoyed this one? The only one that comes to mind is Eraserhead…
Tonight will probably involve watching The Walking Dead, so I will leave you with a simple Happy Halloween!